Q&A - Can anything be done about my abusive partner during COVID lockdown?

Q: Since the lockdown began my partner has been going out every day to the supermarket and bringing back booze which he sits and drinks. Then he gets nasty with me. He has always been verbally abusive towards me, but this is the worst ever and now he is hitting me too because he knows he can get away with it as I am stuck in the house and no-one sees me. I have thought about calling the police when he is at the supermarket, but even if they come what can happen while we are in lockdown? I am terrified I would just make things worse for myself. What can I do? 

A:  If you are in any way concerned for your safety, which clearly you are, then you absolutely must call the police at a time when it is safe to do so, such as when your partner is out shopping. If you don’t feel you can call the Police and you have internet access, you can find information about what to do on the National Domestic Abuse website. But better than that would be to get in touch with a solicitor. Even during the coronavirus crisis, we are all still working, albeit we are currently conducting appointments by telephone or email rather than face to face. 

A solicitor will be able to offer you legal protection and put in place the necessary injunctions to ensure your abusive partner will not cause you further harm. If your situation should become severe, your solicitor can lodge an emergency application with the Court and obtain an Injunction within 24 hours. Please remember you are not alone. Support and advice are available, even during a pandemic! 

Article 11/05/2020 

This question has been answered by Deon Hayward a Trainee Solicitor with GHP Legal.  If you would like to speak to someone about this or any other legal matter it is still possible and we are doing everything we can to ensure that we continue to offer our high levels of service to our clients.  In accordance with government guidelines, most of our lawyers are currently working remotely which means you may not now receive a response as promptly as you may expect. Please kindly bear with us and we will respond as soon as we are able.

Where possible, we ask that you communicate with us by phone or email. If you have a new enquiry, please use the ‘Contact us’ form on the website or call 01978 291456. As a firm, you will appreciate that we are still extremely busy, and whilst our colleagues are well equipped to work remotely, due to current circumstances work may be interrupted – however cases are still ongoing and will be prioritised by urgency and need. Stay safe and thank you for your support.

Alison Peters

Alison Peters


A Partner in our Family and Matrimonial department in Oswestry

Deon Hayward

Deon Hayward


Deon Hayward is a Solicitor based in our Oswestry office.