Q&A - Will I have ‘home rights’ if I move into boyfriend’s house to avoid further COVID separation

Q:    My boyfriend has his own house, and I am considering moving in with him as it has been dreadful having to be apart during the coronavirus pandemic lockdowns. I am prepared to make contributions but am concerned that the property is just in his name. Is there still such a thing as common law marriage, and would I have any rights in relation to the house because of this?

A:    Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a ‘common law marriage’. Legally, an unmarried cohabiting couple is treated quite differently to a married couple or civil partners.

The Family Law Act 1996 gives married couples and civil partners ‘home rights’ which affect whether someone can dispose of a property, even when it is in their sole name, and gives rights to occupy the marital home. However, unmarried cohabiting couples do not have these protections. Following a divorce or dissolution, the Courts also have the power to redistribute property belonging to either party. However, the Courts do not have the power to do this for unmarried cohabiting couples.

This can be problematic when unmarried cohabiting couples separate and one cohabitant owns more assets than the other, because there is less protection for the cohabitant with less assets than there would be if they were married or in a civil partnership.

There are, however, things you can do to protect yourself in these circumstances. It might be beneficial to explore the idea of agreeing a ‘cohabitation agreement’ with your partner. This is in effect a contract which details your agreed intentions in respect of finances and property if you were to separate. This contract can be made at any point during your relationship and a Solicitor can assist you in writing it and enforcing it should you separate. A cohabitation agreement can provide a level of certainty and security for yourself.

Article 16/11/2020

This question has been answered by Morgan Hanley, a Paralegal with GHP Legal.  If you would like to speak to someone about this or any other legal matter it is still possible and we are doing everything we can to ensure that we continue to offer our high levels of service to our clients.  In accordance with government guidelines, some of our lawyers are currently working remotely which means you may not now receive a response as promptly as you may expect. Please kindly bear with us and we will respond as soon as we are able.

Where possible, we ask that you communicate with us by phone or email. If you have a new enquiry, please use the ‘Contact us’ form on the website or call Oswestry 01691 659194 Wrexham 01978 291456. As a firm, you will appreciate that we are still extremely busy, and due to current circumstances work may be interrupted – however cases are still ongoing and will be prioritised by urgency and need. Stay safe and thank you for your support.

Deon Hayward

Deon Hayward


Deon Hayward is a Solicitor based in our Oswestry office.