Q&A My gas boiler installation certificate is missing – what will happen if I sell up?

Q:        I’ve just discovered that I don’t have a boiler installation certificate for the new build house I bought 7 years ago. I called developers and they said the installation contractor has since gone out of business and as it would have been the contractor who issued it, they can’t do anything about it. Will this be a problem if I want to sell?

A:         In England and Wales, all gas boilers and installations, along with any other heat producing appliances, need to be registered at the Local Authority to meet with Building Regulations. So, if it was registered you should be able to see the installation on both the Gas Safety website and the council records. That said, it is not uncommon for a boiler installation certificate to be missing, particularly on new build properties, and this often does not come to light until the property is being sold and it is discovered during the conveyancing process. The reason is usually that the gas safety engineer simply forgot to register it at Gas Safety.

If this is the case, there are two options. The first option is to gain a Retrospective Building Regulation Compliance Certificate. However, this will involve engaging the services of a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect the boiler and sign off the installation or, if there is an issue, make good and reinstall the boiler.

The second option, more popular, option would be to take out boiler indemnity insurance. This would be a policy that protects against losses for the local authority enforcing the removal of the boiler due to there being no registration certificate. This would however not provide cover for gas boiler replacement costs. Your conveyancing solicitor can arrange this cover for you.

This question has been answered by Hywel Jones, a Partner with GHP Legal.  If you would like to speak to someone about this or any other legal matter, please visit our website www.ghplegal.com and use the contact us form, or call us on: Wrexham 01978 291456, Llangollen 01978 860313, Oswestry 01691 659194 

Hywel Jones, Partner at GHP Legal in Oswestry

Hywel Jones


Part of our Property team in Oswestry