Q&A - How do we appoint someone to handle our affairs on our behalf?

Q: My husband and I are housebound due to health problems, but we have a niece whom we trust implicitly, who visits us regularly. We would like her to assist with handling our finances, including making trips to the banks on our behalf. A friend said if we set up an ‘Enduring power of attorney’ we could legally appoint our niece as a deputy to help us. Otherwise, if we lost mental capacity without setting one up, we would have to wait for the court to appoint someone to act on our behalf whom we didn’t know.  What do we need to do?

A: Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs) replaced the old Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPAs) on 1st October 2007. Had you and your husband made EPAs, provided they were signed prior to 31st September 2007 they would remain valid. However, with EPAs your attorneys would not be able to register them unless and until you were losing or had lost capacity to make your own decisions.

LPAs on the other hand enable you to appoint attorneys to act for you on two specific counts – in relation to your health and welfare and in respect of your property and financial affairs. The LPA must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before your attorneys can make decisions for you, but you have the option of registering it before you lose mental capacity. This means that you can delegate tasks to your attorneys to carry out on your behalf at any time and your attorneys must always act in your best interest. And if you were to lose capacity, your existing attorneys would continue to act for you.

Your niece would seem to be an appropriate candidate as you trust her implicitly. Even with the country currently in lockdown due to coronavirus, GHP Legal can still assist you in preparing the necessary paperwork, oversee its execution and register the LPAs for you with the Office of the Public Guardian.

Article 06/04/2020

This question has been answered by Victoria Wilson, a Partner with GHP Legal. If you would like to speak to someone about this or any other legal matter during this unprecedented time, it will still be possible and we will do everything we can to ensure that we continue to offer our high levels of service to our clients. However, in accordance with government guidelines, most of our lawyers are currently working remotely which means you may not now receive a response as promptly as you may expect. Please therefore kindly bear with us and we will respond as soon as we are able.

Where possible, we ask that you communicate with us by phone or email. If you have a new enquiry, please use the ‘Contact us’ form on the website or call 01978 291456. As a firm, you will appreciate that we are still extremely busy, and whilst our colleagues are well equipped to work remotely, due to current circumstances work may be interrupted – however cases are still ongoing and will be prioritised by urgency and need.

Stay safe and thank you for your support.

Victoria Wilson

Victoria Wilson


A Partner and Head of our Probate, Wills, Trusts and Tax team

Ulia Choudhry

Ulia Choudhry


Part of our Probate, Wills, Tax and Trusts team in Wrexham